The Crosswinds Blocks plugin was a fun project to work on for the Crosswinds Framework project.
This represented my foray back into heavy block development since new tools were introduced for creating blocks. For example, I would have loved to have the create-block functionality and block.json file back when I was first creating blocks in 2018. It would have saved a whole lot of time.
But there were also a lot of challenges. First, I had to really learn React. I had learned some of the language when I was first building blocks, but I only learned it in the context of WordPress blocks. This time around, I took the time to actually learn the language before building blocks. That made it a whole lot easier to understand what I was doing and how I could accomplish what I wanted to build.
And because of taking that time, there weren’t a whole lot of challenges with building any of the blocks. There were the occasional errors where it wasn’t super obvious what the actual error was. But other than that it was pretty straightforward.
In the end, I feel like I’m confident in my React and block-building skills, and I can’t wait to try and push the boundaries of what’s possible with WordPress blocks in the future.